Date of Birth: 25.4.1950
Died on: 29-3-2021
Father: Mr. Oyik Ernest
Mother: Mrs Yumima Abalo-Oyik
She went to Pajimo Primary School from P.1 to P.6
- She got Married to Mzee Charles Okullo Bega in 1971.
- Imat Mary and Mzee Charles Okullo Bega had their wedding in 2004 at St. Andrew Church of Uganda Angwetangwet -Lira City.
- Biological Children are three (3) but she raised a total of 40 other Children
- Imat Mary was a reknowned business woman and a farmer in Northern Uganda.
- She learnt politics from her father late Mzee Oyik Ernest who was Kitgum district UPC Chairman from 1955, and fought alongside Dr. Apollo Milton Obote to ensure Uganda gained independence in 1962.
- Imat Mary served as Chairperson LC1 for Angwetangwet B village for over 20 years and retired in 2019.
- She was a member of the UPC ADHOC Committee under the leadership of the late Rev. Yokoyadi Opollo Apelo where she identified and groomed most of the prominent leaders in Lango. Imat Mary Okullo was instrumental in identifying and mentoring Langoo’s prominent sons and daughters in leadership today and among them we have:
- The late Hon John Odit (Mp Erute South), late Hon Odyek Okot (Mp Erute County), late Hon Onyok Etuku (Mp Moroto), late Hon Benard Starnley Omodi-Okot (Mp Kole county), late Hon Dr. Yefusa Okullo-Epak (Mp Oyam South), Hon Cecilia Ogwal Woman Mp Dokolo district), Hon Daniel Omara Atubo (Otuke County), Hon B’leo Ojok (Kyoga county), Hon. Tom Anang Odur (Kwania county), Hon Dr. Alex Okot (Moroto county), Hon.Rebeca Amuge-Otengo (Uganda’s Ambassador to Ethiopia and the African Union), Hon. Charles Angiro Gutmoi Abac Acon (Mp Erute North), Hon. Jonathan Odur (Mp Erute South), Hon. Felix Okot Ogong (Mp Dokolo South), Hon. Atim Joy Ongom (Woma MP, Lira district), Hon. Okin P.P (MP Chua West, Kitgum district) among others.
- Imat Mary joined Reform Agenda in the year 2001 under the leadership of Col. Rt. Dr. Kizza Besigye.
- In 2005 she joined hands with others across Uganda to found the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) and has fought, from that day, alongside Dr. Kizza Besigye and FDC leaders such as former President Rtd. Major General Mugisha Muntu and current President Patrick Oboi Amuriat for a fair, democratic Uganda where all citizens enjoy their human rights and equal protection of the law.
- In 2016 Dr. Besigye appointed Imat Mary Commissioner in charge of Lira district under the People’s Government. It is a position she held till her death.
- In 2019 FDC leadership appointed her Chairperson of the party’s Women’s League in northern Uganda. She held the position till her death.
- Imat Mary served as Advisor to Acholi Paramount Chief His Royal Highness Rwot David Onen Acana II.
- Imat Mary was a member of Mothers Union and together with her daughter Grace Adok they contributed greatly to the construction of the building housing the Children’s Church at St. Andrew Church of Uganda, Angwetangwet.
Imat Mary served humanity, regardless of tribe, race and political affiliation. She was a courageous woman who stood for what was right at all times. She despised and resisted evil throughout her life.
Vigil will be held at their home in Lira, Angwetangwet on Friday 09th April, 2021.
Burial will take place at their ancestral home in Anach Sub-county on Saturday 10th April, 2021 at 04:00pm starting with a Service at 10:00am.
Informed are: Relatives, Friends and In-Laws.